The complexities inherent in managing a law practice – regardless of its size — make it imperative that your firm has a solid tracking component built into your legal case management software program. This built-in to-do list will help you sort out the intricate and unique facets of each case. The tracking feature will systemize many of the mundane tasks, freeing your attorneys and support staff to concentrate on the most important aspects of their work. The tracking mechanism can also automatically calculate deadlines, provide single-click access to docket entries, serve as a resource for delegating tasks within your firm, link to other items and be customized for each particular type of matter. As a failsafe, the tracking mechanism can also require the completion of each procedure before the next step is initiated. Most importantly, the tracking feature can ensure that every task that is undertaken will be done consistently, accurately and will never be omitted from the process.
The Tracking Feature Provides a Safety Net
From time to time, you will be working on a matter that’s particularly complex or regarding an issue you have rarely, if ever, encountered. The tracking software will ensure that you do not overlook a necessary step. For attorneys, frequent workday interruptions come with the territory. Since so many matters require your attention, it is easy to become distracted, making it more likely to lose track of critical procedures you need to implement. The tracking component will help eliminate these oversights.
Following are some of the key areas in which tracking features can help you streamline your case management process:
- Giving you a mechanism for screening new clients. Your tracking list can include the specific parameters you look for in a new client such as industry and type of case.
- Systemizing guidelines for communicating with clients via email, in-person greetings and phone communication.
- Tracking helps you organize tasks according to whom they’re assigned.
- Allowing management to follow the progress of each matter.
- Providing templates for various documents.
- Managing your firm’s finances.
- Assisting in trial preparation.
- Establishing hiring practices.
- Keeping track of your firm’s profits.
Automated tracking help minimize the frustrations of managing both complex and day-to-day legal matters by increasing productivity, ensuring a smooth workflow and minimizing costly errors. The most effective legal case management software programs have such tracking, and allow you to customize the tracking features to meet your firm’s specific needs.