Full synchronization of calendars in Needles 5 and Microsoft Outlook enables users to share more information with colleagues and streamline processes. Follow these instructions to either sync your calendars for the first time or re-sync if you become disconnected.
Note: To sync your Outlook calendar in Needles 5, you must first register the Microsoft Outlook add-in with Needles 5. If you do not have the add-in, jump here.
Needles Outlook Sync Settings
In order to sync calendars, users must first complete Outlook and Needles 5 sync settings. Please note the following:
- Any staff member that will be scheduling appointments for others has to be set to sync
- The API must be running (check by going to C:\Program Files\Needles\UserConfigurationTool.exe and clicking Test next to the Web API URL)
- The user must be logged in to the Needles Add-In in Outlook; if you don’t have the add-in, check out the instructions below
- Users have the choice to set ‘Auto Accept’ invites in Outlook
- Background Sync setting will sync Needles and Outlook even when they are closed
- Users must be logged in to their own computers in order to send old Needles appointments to their Outlook calendar
- All staff need to have edit rights to Outlook calendars and Needles permissions PRIOR to syncing any calendar items for any staff
Sync Settings in Needles 5
Directory > Staff
- Personal Info: Email Address
- Permissions: Calendar > Enable, Add, Modify Others’ Calendars
- Permissions: External Programs > Web API for 3rd Party Apps > Enable
- Permissions: External Programs > Outlook Sync Settings > Enable
- Permissions: External Programs > Outlook Administrator > Enable
- Outlook Tab: Enable Sync and Enable Background Sync
Sync Settings in Outlook
There are two ways to sync your settings in Outlook, depending on the version your firm uses.
Note: The user must have Editor access to all others’ calendars that you will be scheduling with
- Right-click on your Calendar > Properties > Permissions > Add
- Add each staff member that needs to schedule appointments for you (you can select multiple people at once)
- Permission Level > Editor > OK
*Everyone you selected will receive an email notifying them that they have editor permissions; they MUST all click Accept.
- Right-click on your Calendar > Share > Share with all staff that need to schedule appointments for you
- Select/Add staff > select Can Edit in Permissions below
- Right-click on your Calendar > Share
- Share with each staff member that needs to schedule appointments for you (you can select multiple people at once)
Activating Your Sync
All users in the firm must have the Outlook and Needles 5 settings in place (see steps above) before proceeding to the steps below.
- Set up all Outlook and Needles permissions (above)
- Outlook – Set to Auto Accept All Invites
- File > Options > Calendar > Auto Accept/Decline > CHECK Automatically accept meeting requests and remove canceled meetings > OK
- Outlook – Delete all calendar appointments that already have a “Needles” Category. They will be syncing from Needles again with a “NeedlesSync” category (otherwise will cause a duplicate)
- View > Change View > List > Categories > Needles > Right-click on Needles and delete
- Needles – Set up sync
- Set Time Frame for sync (date fields)
- Click Send All Calendar Items to Outlook
*Do not click send until everyone in the firm who will be syncing is set up.
- Once you complete sync, go back into Outlook and Disable Auto Accept all invites
- File > Options > Calendar > Auto Accept/Decline > UNCHECK Automatically accept meeting requests and remove canceled meetings > OK
- Close Outlook if it is open.
- Double click the Needles shortcut and log in with your username and password.
- Using a File Explorer window, browse to C:\ProgramFiles\Needles\UserConfigurationTool.exe
The Needles Configuration Utility window will launch – your window may or may not have a Database Connection button. Please read carefully for both paths.
- IF you see a Database Connection button, make sure the database is connected by hitting the Test first. If it is not, click the Database Connection button to search for your database and select it. (Note: The dropdown may not display the server name. If it does not show automatically or display in the dropdown, manually type it without spelling errors.)
Type your Web API URL, Needles Username and Needles Password in the fields on the Connection Settings tab of the Needles Configuration Utility window and click Save. (Note: Contact your IT department for the Web API URL, which is located on your server.)
If you do not see a Database Connection button, reference this dialog:
The OBDC DSN field should default to Needles. The Web API URL field will be filled in with the correct information of the API that will be running on the server. (It will not necessarily match what you see in the screenshot.)
Note: Contact your IT department for the Web API URL, which is located on your server.
Type your Needles Username and Needles Password in the fields on the Connection Settings tab of the Needles Configuration Utility window and click Save.
- Click the Registration tab, then click the Register button next to Outlook Add-in Status
- After a ‘Successfully Registered’ message displays, re-open Outlook. You should see a NEEDLES tab in Outlook containing the Needles Outlook Add-In options.
- In Outlook click on the Needles Ribbon and select Needles Settings. If the Needles Outlook Settings window shows Not Logged In, please contact our support department.
Be sure to save these instructions for reference if you ever need to sync or re-sync users. With Needles’ new, web-based solution, you won’t need to follow any of these steps because it links the Needles calendar directly to the Outlook 365 calendar, making it easier to share calendars across your firm.
To learn more about other features in our web-based solution, visit www.needlesneos.com.